usually, chili is a winter staple around here, but for some reason, i just haven’t been in the mood for it.
that is, not until i learned of the “bombtastic” winter storm headed our way here in the midwest.
luckily, i keep ingredients on hand that i can whip this tried and true recipe up at a moments notice (good for all those late night chili cravings and for when unexpected guests drop by, for sure) and since i was snowed in anyway, i decided that today was as good of a day as any to enjoy the simple comforts of a well simmered pot of soup.
the storm is nowhere near as bad as they claimed it would be (thank goodness…), but the wind is still whipping and howling and they did shut down the interstates, so i am perfectly content to stick it out here with my cat and my chili and a good book.
what you need:
- meat (or meat substitute of choice), ground up and browned
- one (1) small can of V8 tomato juice
- two (2) cans dark kidney beans, drained
- two (2) cans white beans, drained
- two (2) cans black beans (or chili beans, if you prefer), drained
- one (1) can diced tomatoes, pepper and onions, undrained
- chili powder, cayenne powder, garlic flakes to taste
like i said, this is a super simple recipe that’s hellaciously easy to throw together. i usually like to top my chili with cheese shreds, diced onion and a little sour cream, but go crazy! you do you! there’s no judgement here! and if there is, show it the door!
any way, stay safe out there, friends. this winter has been a bad one and i feel like there’s more to come…
in the mean time, enjoy your chili and watch a good movie or two.